Re: font with special diacritical marks?

David Lemon & Anahit Deedy <[log in to unmask]>

TYPO-L Discussion of Type and Typographic Design <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Aug 1998 07:24:05 -0700

Mark Halpern wrote:
> I'm writing an article about linguistics and language usage in
> which I mention the name of the ancient Sanskrit grammarian Panini.
> I want to be able to represent his name correctly, and this requires
> a macron overthe "a" and an underdot under the first "n". But I
> can't find a font that includes those diacritical marks, or the
> letters with those marks already attached. I thought that Adobe, as
> the high temple of computerized typography, would be able to help,
> but getting through to a human being there is nearly impossible.

I've never had the dubious pleasure of making that attempt, but I can
report that real human beings do reach me at work from time to time.

Don Hosek wrote:
> I'm pretty sure the dot-under letters aren't available in IPA (or
> for that matter, macron-over). ...
> Adobe will almost certainly not have a product that will do the job.

Adobe's type browser (http://www.adobe.com/type/browser) shows all the
fonts in the Adobe library. In the "symbol" fonts section it shows two
phonetic font packages, ITC Stone (Serif and Sans) Phonetic, and Times
Phonetic. Both packages include both IPA and APA sets; the latter would
have the marks Mark needs. Unfortunately, phonetic fonts are kludgey to
use, due to limitations of current operating systems. Hopefully in a few
years we'll be able to bring out an OpenType version that will handle its
own spacing for you.

- David Lemon
  type nerd
  Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs.