Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Toxic Chrysophyote bloom
From: PhycoTech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:18:49 -0400

Hi all, I have a client that is experiencing what appears to be a toxic
freshwater Chrysochromulina bloom.  The ID is somewhat uncertain because it
was shipped live and didn't tolerate the passage well, but its single
celled, there are at least two flagella (I can't discern a haptonema) and
its definitely a chrysophyte in that group.  There are dead and sick dogs
and the people around the lake (Wisconsin, USA), are experiencing skin
rashes and respiratory and eye problems after being in or near the water.

The lake is rock bottom, covered with varying densities of Chara,
approximately 230 acres and in other respects reasonably non-productive.
Outside the "plumes" there are low densities of "non-problem" causing algae
(Oocystis, Aphanocapsa, Aphanothece).

Any thoughts on treatment of the lake?  Normally I see these types of blooms
documented in marine or more southerly situations.  I have suggested that
they post the lake to let the residents know there could a problem and to
avoid the water for now.

Thanks,  Ann St. Amand
*       Ann St. Amand, Ph.D.
*       PhycoTech
*       620 Broad Street, Suite 100
*       St. Joseph,  Michigan  49085
*       Phone:  (+55) 616-983-3654
*       Fax:    (+55) 616-983-3653
*       Email:  [log in to unmask]
*             http://www.parrett.net/~phycotec
*       Specializing in algal analysis
*       and related services!

This message was sent to you because you are subscribed to ALGAE-L, a listserver list run by [log in to unmask]  You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text.  If you have further difficulty contact the listowner.