Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  August 1998

AFRIK-IT August 1998

Fw: Sighting: (ex-British) Commonwealth acts; Hugo

Chris Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 21 Aug 1998 21:52:10 +0200

>Date: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 11:12 AM
>Subject: Sighting: (ex-British) Commonwealth acts; Hugo
>From: "Ian Hugo" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sighting: (ex-British) Commonwealth acts
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:02:00 +0000
>
>This is a counter to the depressing G8 back-protection from an
>unexpected and useful source.
>
>The (ex-British) Commonwealth Secretariat is putting its hand up to
>be counted as a possible coordination/focal point for sharing of
>information/experience between Commonwealth members.  OK, I know the
>Commonwealth is no longer the centre of the universe and no jokes
>about cricket please (save them for the South Aficans!). What may
>surprise some of you is that Commonwealth countries number 54, around
>a third of the world total; equally important, communications
>channels at all pertinent levels are in place between all of them.
>
>The broad idea of the Commonwealth initiative is to provide a channel
>for status sharing and passing information/experience from the
>countries more advanced on the problem to the others.  I'm involved
>in creating a pamphlet for the Secretariat to serve as a working
>document at a workshop in Malta on 15-17 September. The key points
>are to provide a framework for stating what any country should be
>doing (by priority, given time left) and a kind of country
>self-assessment checklist. I'm working on thes now but would welcome
>any helpful input (need to finalise copy by the 25th August).  Also
>need to create the most select and useful list of sources of info
>(useful at national level).
>
>Output from the Malta workshop will be a working document to be
>presented to an almost simultaneous meeting of Commonwealth finance
>Ministers in Ottawa, with a view to open minds and purses.
>
>Two key points to all this. This is the first initiative I've come
>across that is aimed at helpng the developing countries, so I'm
>pleased to be a part of it. Secondly, isn't it great that a body like
>the Commonwealth Secretariat is not afraid to put it's hand up when
>all the big boys are busy ducking?
>
>If any of you can point me to good sources for work already going
>onto construct frameworks for national infrastructure that I don't
>know of, particularly for smaller countries, I'd be grateful for
>pointers. If any of you are interested in the workshop (it's aimed
>at finance ministry/sector staff but outsiders can attend) or what
>Commonwealth Secretariat is trying to do, contact Rogers W'O Okot-Uma
>on tel: (+44/0) 171 747 6339; fax (+44/0) 171 747 6335; Email
>
>I'd be grateful for all constructive feedback.
>
>Ian Hugo
>Asst Director, Taskforce 2000
>Chairman, BSI Committee BDD/1/3 on Y2K conformity
Chris Anderson          email:                       [log in to unmask]
Y2K Cinderella Project          [log in to unmask]
http://www.cinderella.co.za             Striving for Year 2000 Compliance