Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Filiocht agus riomhaireacht
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:32:26 -0800

Ar 4:52 PM -0700 7/14/98, scríobh Scott:

>Poetry has to some degree become absorbed into music; what were once two
>separate things are now more often combined than not.

To turn this thread back to our chosen time and place: the Irish
professional poet did not just hand his patron a nice clean copy
of his p.r. work and pocket the payment.  Reports indicate that
once the poem was ready, he obtained the services of two other
professionals, the "reacaire" (reciter) and the "cláirseoir"
(harper), who performed the poem before the patron and his guests.

This raises a number of questions.  First, was the poem chanted
or merely recited with a musical background?  Do we have any solid
documentary evidence one way or the other?  Did the reacaire declaim
the poem with theatrical gestures?  It has been suggested that Irish
term "reacaire" was borrowed from Anglo-Saxon "reccere".  Does
anyone on the list know about this?  Was Welsh panegyric poetry
also accompanied by the harp?

Dennis King