Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Celtic = not quite Irish
From: Rick Gagne and Elise Morse-Gagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:32:47 -0400

Philippe wrote:

>Although I would go along with most of what you wrote, I cannot but take
>issue with your last statement. (Breton is a not quite Irish language.)
>Breton is a language (it's in fact three or four different ones),
>Brittany has its unique culture and music and there's nothing half-baked
>about it, except perhaps the way some people may play it at some of >those
Celtic festivals...

Oh, very well.  And I suppose the Not Quite Irish are not Boston's
basketball team; and it wasn't a migration of not-quite-Irish tribes which
gave Europe iron weapons, bards, dolmens, druids, whiskey, and toilet paper
quilted in a continuous knotwork pattern.
        But I did receive a Green Linnet flier today, introducing their
"Celtophile" collection, including (with substitutions) these titles:

Playing with Fire: Contemporary Not Quite Irish Instrumentals
The Celts Rise Again: 18 tracks of not quite Irish joy
Season of Mists: A Collection of Not Quite Irish Moods
Not Quite Irish Music Today, contemporary in style but rooted in        tradition
Not Quite Irish Love Songs
There Was a Lady: Voices of Not Quite Irish Women
Putting On Airs: A Collection of Not Quite Irish Airs
Gentle Breeze: Not Quite Irish Music for Flute and Whistle
The Jug of Punch: Raising a Glass to Not Quite Irish Music

All the Celtobest--
--Rick Gagne, Bath, New Hamcelt, UCSA