Help for IBN-L Archives

IBN-L Archives

Subject: Butterflies
From: Dr G Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:21:15 PDT

Dear All,
        Sorry to go off topic, but I'm sure some, and hopefully most, of you will
have more than a passing interest in other forms of nature than birds. Yesterday I was
in the Ulster museum in Belfast looking through the lepidopteral section and found,
under the heading butterflies of Ireland one labelled as "Small Mountain Ringlet". It
had the same latin name as the usual Mountain Ringlet, so I was not too perplexed by
the "small". But, as far as I'm aware Mountain Ringlet does not occur in Ireland,
although there have been a couple of 'odd' records in the past. Certainly according to
recent books by Jeremy Thomas the Mountain Ringlet has no place in Irish
lepidoptera. So how did this get into the museum? Has Mountain Ringlet very recently
been discovered in Ireland? And if so, where might it be found?

                Graham