Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Fwd: Bloom crashes
From: Richard Moe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Jul 1998 20:19:26 -0700

Please respond to
"Robert W. Starkey" <[log in to unmask]>

>Greetings all,
>
>I'm working with a culture system (catfish) which utilizes algae as a
>source for D.O. & nutrient uptake.  We can feed fish at extremely high
>rates in this system  We use filter feeding animals to crop algae to reduce
>standing crop biomass and cell age in the system-oxygen production is also
>very high. However, in one particular unit my blooms crash about once a
>month.  I have three other units adjacent to this one, but I don't get the
>crashes.  The water quality and nutrient inputs are similar in each of the
>units.  I have heard viruses may cause such crahes.  I would like to know
>if anyone may know why such crashes occur.  Any info is appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob
>Robert W. Starkey
>Graduate Research Assistant
>Department of Aquaculture, Fisheries & Wildlife
>G-08 Lehotsky Hall
>Clemson, SC 29634
>
>Office: (864)656-7849
>Home: (864)654-3485

This message was sent to you because you are subscribed to ALGAE-L, a listserver list run by [log in to unmask]  You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text.  If you have further difficulty contact the listowner.