Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  July 1998

AFRIK-IT July 1998

Y2kAFRIK - the Cinderella Y2k for Africa project

Chris Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Jul 1998 01:39:34 +0200

This message was sent out to the many repondents
to the recent call for Y2k volunteers in African countries.
We shall see how it goes.
CA

The response to my call for Y2k volunteers in Africa
has been startlingly successful to say the least.  My
Inbox overfloweth.  Thank you to all those who
responded. Please bear with me if it takes a couple
of days to produce a  suitable infrastructure and
modus operandi.

We now have startup contacts in Malawi, Namibia,
Nigeria, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and
Zimbabwe. Lets hear from countries not on this list.

HERE IS WHAT I SUGGEST WE DO.

I have started a new Project under the Cinderella
Umbrella called "Y2KAFRIC - The Cinderella Y2k for
Africa Project".

A Web Page will be made available for each country
participating. Each Country page will be used to
list useful Y2k information and contacts for that
country. Obviously we will have to build this
information from scratch.

The objective is to build local people networks, to
concentrate expertise and provide leadership for
achieving Action.

At this point Cinderella can only provide English as
the support language.  Volunteers who can provide
translation facilities and thus include the
Francophone nations would be most welcome.
Similarly for local African language support.

In due course, Countries may wish to start their own
web sites, but we have a starting point that can be
used now, today.

I ask all those who volunteered to join the new list
server that has been set up.
This is called [log in to unmask]
NO, this has nothing to do with hoarding tins of baked
beans or survivalism, but a list is easy to maintain
and control and eliminates spammers and time wasters.

It would also be unfair to hijack the "mother" list
at AFRIK-IT.

Details on how to join the list are appended at the end
of this message.

WHO CAN BE INVOLVED IN Y2KAFRIK?

The vast majority of replies were from Individuals.
Some in the IT industry. There were some businesses,
Academic Institutions and a Bank.

Y2k covers a large area of human activities and we need
this type of multidisciplinary approach. So there is a
place and need for everyone.

Anybody with an interest in the subject who has
access to email and a Web browser can participate.

WHAT WILL PARTICIPANTS GET OUT OF ALL THIS?

First and foremost, Y2k Activism is not a get rich
quick scheme.  Usually precisely the opposite.
Cinderella supplies Information, not funding.

Obviously as individuals learn more about the subject,
and acquire confidence and expertise, they will utilise
opportunities as Speakers and Entrepreneurs.

It is very likely that the only reward will be in
the satisfaction of a job well done.

But the primary rule is that Y2k information must
be freely available to all those who want it.

All participants are eligible to receive free Y2k
Consultancy services from the Cinderella Project.
Any question on Y2k can be addressed to me.

The primary startup activity will be to produce
educational "Information Packs" suitable to the needs
of participants.  For that purpose I need some basic
data.

WHAT WILL PARTICIPANTS BE EXPECTED TO CONTRIBUTE?

Let us make one ground rule clear. No monetary
contribution by anyone for any purpose may be
levied for participation in this Web Project.

Participants will be expected to participate in the
assigned project tasks by doing research and sharing
results.

Participants will be expected to educate themselves on
the subject of Y2k, and be prepared to pass this on to
others.

PLEASE RETURN THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION TO

Preparatory Questionnaire

AREA OF ACTIVITY

( ) Home computing
( ) Small and Medium Business
( ) Church
( ) Large Business
( ) Association of Professionals
( ) Medical
( ) Academic Institution
( ) Local Government
( ) Central Government

INTENDED USE

( ) Hobby
( ) Social
( ) Business

SYSTEM OF INTEREST (PREFERABLY AVAILABLE FOR TESTING)

SMALL SYSTEMS

( ) IBM PC
( ) Macintosh
( ) Other  ..................

Operating System Used

( ) MSDOS
( ) NOVELL
( ) Windows 3.1
( ) Windows 95
( ) Windows 98
( ) Windows NT 3.5
( ) Windows NT 4
( ) OS/2
( ) Unix/Linux
( ) Other ...................

LARGE SYSTEMS

( ) IBM MVS
( ) IBM VSE
( ) IBM VM
( ) OTHER ............

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

1. It appears that the majority of the participants are
involved in Home or Small Business.
May I suggest that you have a look at the Cinderella
Website and investigate the "Cinderella Method".
Try out this method on your own machine.
Learn and Understand by Doing.
If you have Realaudio 5 in your browser, listen to
the "experts" talk on Y2k in the "XX files" in the
Cinderella [Audio] section.

2. Begin to collect information about the level of Y2k
awareness in your country.

3. Utilise your social circle.  Your friends, your
family, your associates at work, your Church.  Any
society or body of which you are a member.  Y2k
Activism works best as a group activity.  Organise a
weekly meeting of interested persons.  Recruit these
members as the nucleus of your Country Y2k SIG.

WHAT IS CINDERELLA GOING TO BE DOING?

The Cinderella Secretariat will act as facilitator
and Project Coordinator.
The next step will be to collect your feedback
from the Preparatory Questionnaire and start assembling
the information packs based on the results.

If you have any questions or concerns, send me email.

Welcome aboard Y2KAFRIK.  I applaud your generosity of
spirit in offering your time and efforts to this worthy
end.

It will be a very interesting 18 months.
Chris Anderson
---------------------------------
Y2KAFRIK - SURVIVE List Instructions
(last updated 1998-02-11)

The objective of the Y2KAFRIK SURVIVE list is to
provide a forum for African users to discuss the Year
2000 problem.

This list supports the primary web pages at:

http://www.cinderella.co.za/y2kafrik.html

This message contains basic administrative information
for this list.  It will be posted from time to time.
There are eight sections to this message:

 0) No SPAM Policy
 1) List Subscriber Count;
 2) Finding the Y2k MINIFAQ - answers to common questions;
 3) List Posting Instructions;
 4) How to UNSUBSCRIBE from this list;
 5) How to SUBSCRIBE to this list;
 6) How to change your subscription e-mail address;
 7) How to get archived copies of past messages

0. NO SPAM POLICY
=================

It has recently become necessary to implement an
anti-spam filter on this list.

Only messages from registered members will be posted.

Reasonable latitude is given in terms of language and
opinion. However, personal attacks and abuse of
privilege will be grounds for removal from the list.

This is a private list. The decision of the Webmaster
is final.

1. LIST SUBSCRIBER COUNT
========================

We currently have 1 subscribers to this list.

2. THE Y2k MINIFAQ
=====================

A list of answers to frequently asked questions
regarding Y2k can be obtained from
http://www.cinderella.co.za/minifaq.txt

3. LIST POSTING INSTRUCTIONS
============================

The number of messages posted to the list will vary
depending on events and the degree of activity by our
list members.  On many days, it is possible that there
will be no traffic at all.

the registered users, e-mail it to the address:

Replying to an incoming message will not send it back
to the list for posting.

Rather, your reply will go back to the author of the
message.  You must deliberately address your post to
[log in to unmask] if you want your reply to

PLEASE DO NOT EVER send join/leave requests to the list
posting address!

Please do not include any attachments with your post.
They will not be forwarded to the list.

4. UNSUBSCRIBE INSTRUCTIONS
===========================

You may leave this list at any time by sending an email
message, with subject blank and "leave survive"
in the body  of your message to:

If all else fails, you should send a note to the list
moderator asking for assistance getting off the list.
The list moderator's e-mail address is:

5. SUBSCRIBE INSTRUCTIONS
message with subject blank, and "join survive" in the
body of the message to:

Alternatively, you can register from the SURVIVE section at
http://www.cinderella.co.za/y2kafrik.htm

You will receive a message confirming your
registration.  Please ignore any reference to "DIGEST",
this feature is not implemented. This messaqe overrides
any instructions contained in the confirmation.

6. CHANGING YOUR SUBSCRIPTION E-MAIL ADDRESS

To change the e-mail address under which you are
subscribed to this list, send a message (from your new
email address) to [log in to unmask], subject
blank, "leave survive <old-email-address>" on the
first line of the body, "join survive" on the second
line of the body.

7. OBTAINING PAST LIST ARCHIVES
==============================

The DIGEST facilities of the list manager are not
implemented.

A moderated list of past messages is consolidated
at the end of each month. These archives can be
downloaded from ftp://www.cinderella.co.za/pub
or from the FTP section of http://www.cinderella.co.za

Chris Anderson          email:                       [log in to unmask]
Y2K Cinderella Project          [log in to unmask]
http://www.cinderella.co.za             Striving for Year 2000 Compliance