Re: Defining "Markup Languages"

Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 Jun 1998 00:40:58 +0100

Doug Greenwood asks:

> Now my questions are: Once a DTD has been written for a vertical market (say
> residential/commercial real estate listings in my case), is it correct to
> call the new vocabulary a "markup language"?

Certainly is.

> Can this DTD be referred to as
> the REML (Real Estate Markup Language) or as another example, a colleague
> facetiously proclaimed the TFML for Tropical Fish vendors?

No reason why not. There's going to be a flood of *ML acronyms soon :-)

I know some zoologists who wanted MAML, the Mammalian Aquatic Markup
Language, for exchanging messages and data on research into whales and
other aquatic mammals. And a military history geek suggested ROML for
those interested in a Webring on WW2 desert warfare; doubtless
Austrian bakers will wish to use SEML; dwarves may want GIMLi (i for
interactive); a certain cosmetics manfacturer can propose RIML; the
Borg will definitely want ASIML; saddlers can use POML; etc

> Is it appropriate to flood the community with markup languages for vertical
> markets like the examples above, or should markup languages be more
> general, such as CDF, RDF, PGML, etc?
>
> If it is OK, should Markup languages go through review boards or can some
> vertical market simply proclaim a new markup?

IMHO go right ahead, there's nothing to stop you proclaiming it and
using it. If it's no good, it'll die; if it's wonderful, people will
come to you for advice on how to do theirs.

///Peter