Subject: IE5: HTML with XML sprinkles
From: David vun Kannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:26:44 -0400

        Whats gone wrong here is that Microsoft has validated the attitude that any
bogus tag can be added to any HTML document with the excuse that the tag
represents 'XML'. In the demo page which I quote for review purposes below, you
can see that the IE5 tags don't amount to a separate document. My quick
experiment shows that IE5 does not apply style (or put it in the object model to
be scripted) to an bogus tag unless the xml:namespace tag is present and the tag
has a prefix referenced by such a namespace tag. So it doesn't know much right
now about XML or documents, but it can bless random tags with the right to be
styled and scripted via a use of the namespace concept that is at best
orthogonal to its purpose heretofore.
Cheers,
David vun Kannon

Microsoft's IE5 XML + CSS demo page

<head>
<XML:namespace prefix="IE5"/>
 .myClass {font-family: verdana; color: white; background-color: black}
 @namespace IE5 {
   getsclass {font-family: courier; color: blue; font-weight: bold;
border-style: solid; background-color: yellow; border-color: black;
border-width: 3; width: 200; height: 100}
 }
</head>
<h2 style="font-family: verdana">Application of CSS to XML</h2>
This is just HTML content<br><br>
<IE5:simple style="color: blue">This is XML with inline
styles</IE5:simple><br><br>
<IE5:simple style="background-color: green; color: blue;">This is XML with more
inline styles</IE5:simple><br><br>
<IE5:simple style="font-family: verdana; font-weight: bold">This is XML with
more inline styles</IE5:simple><br><br>
This is just HTML content<br><br>
<IE5:aclass class=myClass>I'm an XML tag with
class=myClass.</IE5:aclass><br><br>
<IE5:getsclass onclick="this.style.position = 'static';" style="position:
absolute; top: 200; left: 200">I'm positioned XML. Click me, I'm XML, and I'll
morph to be position:static</IE5:getsclass>