Subject: Re: 2 kinds of XML document editors needed
From: Dave Winer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:28:08 -0700

>>Well, I guess XML overcomes it by eliminating it.  XML is used to
define strictly structural languages, whereas HTML is somewhat of
a hybrid between a structural and procedural markup.  Thus, you
don't have to worry about wizzy editors with XML because there is
no need--you're only defining the structure, not the look.  That's
where the styles will come in (CSS, XSL, DSSSL, whatever).
There's no need to really mark-up XML-based documents by hand.

So we agree. A wizzy XML editor doesn't make sense as a concept.

Personally I think an outliner makes the best XML editor. I'm wondering
what beyond simple structural editing is needed. Outliners do a great job
of editing structures, that's what they're for.

Dave