Subject: Re: 2 kinds of XML document editors needed
From: "Adam M. Donahue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:25:27 -0400

> First, you're right that the tricks-of-the-trade problem did make it
> difficult to create a satisfying wizzy HTML editor, but there was a deeper
> problem, that you couldn't really see what the document might look like on
> the reader's screen because of the wide amount of control the reader has on
> font choices, window size, whether they're blind, or whatever... In other
> words, HTML doesn't define a wizzy medium, therefore no wizzy editor is
> really possible. It's not clear to me how XML overcomes that limit.

Well, I guess XML overcomes it by eliminating it.  XML is used to
define strictly structural languages, whereas HTML is somewhat of
a hybrid between a structural and procedural markup.  Thus, you
don't have to worry about wizzy editors with XML because there is
no need--you're only defining the structure, not the look.  That's
where the styles will come in (CSS, XSL, DSSSL, whatever).
There's no need to really mark-up XML-based documents by hand.

Adam

mailto:[log in to unmask]