Subject: Re: SQL resultset to XML?
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Jun 1998 21:24:23 -0400

At 04:24 PM 6/8/98 -0700, Cook, Terry wrote:
>I have read this group's messages with great interest and have done
>other research elsewhere on the Web concerning XML and databases but
>have not found any significant information about how an XML data
>structure (not DTD) would be generated/converted from the resultset of a
>SQL SELECT query. Can anyone throw some light on this question?

Terry, you might try Robin Cover's SGML/XML site at:
        http://www.sil.org/sgml/xml.html

Try searching on "SQL" and/or "database" and/or "SDQL" (the latter a search
tool for SGML, I believe).

Another possibility... I don't know where it is in the pipeline, but I
believe Allaire Corporation is looking at something like what you're
talking about. They're the vendors of Cold Fusion, which -- through a Cold
Fusion Markup Language (CFML) extension to HTML -- enables Web pages to
query ODBC data sources by embedding SQL in special tags. (I think one of
their executives popped up on the XML-DEV mailing list a few months ago;
you might also try searching the list's hypermail index at
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/.) Allaire is at:
        http://www.allaire.com/

John E. Simpson          | It's no disgrace t'be poor,
[log in to unmask]      | but it might as well be.