Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  June 1998

AFRIK-IT June 1998

Re: Dealing w/Spam (was Re: sojourn in the land of Cocagne)

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:53:02 +0100

In message <[log in to unmask]>, "Steven G. Huter
" writes:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Joris Komen wrote:
>
> > I would be very grateful if someone could be perhaps (re-?) hash :-) some
> > quick and effective ways of tracing/flushing spammers.......

There is no way of tracing or flushing spammers, really. The hard core
Spamfords you can get with a law suit if you are in the US. The rest
usually tries this once :-)-O. Usually so many targets complain that
the spammers have their access stripped.

Now one can use one of the automated tools, like John Quaterman's
nospam or adcomplain from abuse.net which make complaining easier, but
in the end, I reckon it's not worth even that effort.

Now what can one do not to be bothered too much?

First of all using a recent sendmail version (8.8.9 or later) helps a
lot.

Because Spam is illegal most software tries to hide the sender by way
of sending the mail through relays. That you can turn off in
sendmail's config.

Then there is a black list (of domains) which you can enable in
sendmail or in your router or both :-)-O.

You can configure a list of junk domains or even users which you want
sendmail to bounce.

And then you can run procmail as your local delivery agent.

I use nmh/exmh and procmail filters all list traffic in its
corresponding folder. All mail from regular correspondents go into
their folders and so do the ones with certain words in the subject
line (or even in the text of the mail :-)-O). People you don't like?
procmail will dump their mail into the bit bucket.

All remaining messages (rather few) should be addressed to you, should
it not? Well, often Spams do not have your address on the To: line so
you can use that as a criterium to filter these messages into a junk
folder. That will catch a few that are not Spam and miss a few, but
the bother factor is much much reduced :-)-O

Then I run a perl script ever so often to append the senders into my
sendmail junk file and they will never bother me again. If I really
feel pissed off I run them through adcomplain and feel much better
:-)-O.

What is however much more interesting in this context, is how do they
get your address? Archives of mailing lists and news groups can be
searched by robot tools...

Now if you created 20 accounts for yourself on your unix box and
subscribed to each mailing list with an individual address you should
see where you get spammed from :-)-O

You can also make your From: and Reply-To: lines read such as

so individual respondents will notice (eventually :-)-O) and remove
NOSPAM from the address but the robot won't (most of the time).

Now you ask, what about Windoze? There are some tools, but who cares
about this Microsnot crap anyway?

el
--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse\         /                 Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]>         *        |                  Resident Medical Officer