AFRIK-IT June 1998

Calling all IS Academics

Jonathan Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:33:28 +2

Greetings to all from a long-time lurker on this list!

This year I'm the ICIS conference liaison person for Africa.  I am writing to invite
you to put your name forward for the 1999 Programme Committee. ICIS is the
International Conference on Information Systems and will take place in
Charlotte, United States, December 12-15 1999. (This year's conference is in
December in Helsinki, Finland)

ICIS is the premier conference for IS academics and attracts well over a
thousand participants every year. Many senior IS academics regard the
published proceedings as equivalent in standard to an A-grade refereed
journal. ICIS, however, attracts very few participants from Africa, and
fewer Programme Committee members.

If you are not familiar with ICIS, please have a look at
http://www.cba.uga.edu/icis/

The ICIS '99 Organising Committee want to move the conference forward in
two ways in particular. First to strengthen technical contributions, and
second to broaden the composition of the Programme Committee. Hence this
request to you.

The time committment of programme committee members is not very great.
You might land up with perhaps three papers to review as first reviewer, and
three as second. Since I've been involved with ICIS for several years, I
can give you more info if you need it.

If you are interested in joining the committee, please let me have a short
bio-sketch (4-5 sentences). Include in this bio-sketch, your email
address, affiliation, rank/position, and areas of expertise, as well as
the names of journals where you have published.

I will consolidate and forward your details to the ICIS committee, who
also want me to note that this is a list of recommendations that may have
to be adjusted to get the right balance of expertise on the programme
committee.

Also, if you have colleagues in Africa who you think may also be
interested, please have them contact me.

Regards

Jonathan

PS. There is a consolidated list of IS academics in Africa on the Web. Follow
the link from the ICIS page to ISWorld. I found two IS academics there who's
mail bounced. Anyone know the correct addresses for

"Iouri Boreicha" <[log in to unmask]>
"Ola-Olu Daini" <[log in to unmask]>

PPS. If you want to add your details to the list of IS academics, let me know
and I'll try and make it happen.

Dr Jonathan Miller
University of Cape Town
Currently seconded to Mikomtek Division, CSIR
President, Computer Society of South Africa

P O Box 26138
Hout Bay
South Africa 7872
Tel/Fax +2721 790 1327