Subject: Re: translation
From: Christina Thiele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 May 1998 14:07:23 -0400

DickWeltz writes:

> If you really want to have some fun, ask AltaVista or any other computer
> "translator" to give you a rendering into another language of your choice of:
>
> Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
>
> Another fun exercise is to let software translate from, say, English to
> French. Then feed the French in and ask for English back.
>
> Enjoy.
>
> -- Dick Weltz, Spectrum Multilanguage Communications, NYC
>     America's Premier Translators/Foreign Language Typographers
> What country has the world's worst drivers?
> Find out at http://come.to/spectrum

You're wicked! So let's add to it ;-)

Chomsky's old standby: Flying planes can be dangerous.

There were scads of these around in the linguistics journals at one
time. Anyone have access to some of the more interesting ones?

Of course, such a thread would have nothing to do with typography
... but it's a beautiful sunny afternoon and I don't feel like working
;-))

Ch.

P.S. That would be Ottawa where it's sunny ...