Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  May 1998

AFRIK-IT May 1998

Re: idn.org and other informative web sites - panacea or Pandora's box?

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 May 1998 18:13:07 +0100

Peter,

In message <01bd8b00$72c7cec0$0b01a8c0@elmo>, Peter writes:

> Here's a more explicit case:
> - a five person media company with an NT guru on staff

Hardly likely scenario :-)-O

Unless one counts someone who can point and click and reinstall
Windows after a crash as an NT guru.

Where I come from, a guru can conjure heavy wizzardry.

> - the business is only a few months old, and has little financial or
> personpower to spare (cost and implementation constraints)

NT is very very expensive to buy. With their Exchange Server it's
20000R they are looking at.

> - their small network is already connected by an NT firewall via a
> leased line (sunk cost)

Now why on earth would one do this? We'd connect such a LAN with a
CISCO router to TelCom's NTU. If it's a firewall it's going to be a
BSD box (the ISP likes it, but then... see below)

> <snip> (for bandwidth sake)
>
> I agree with everything you wrote!

Thanks.

> >No, in the context of this list, we should not be afraid at reading
> >a book, or a manual, loading a CD Rom and play with something like
> >linux until you figure it out.
>
> ...especially this point.

This afternoon I went to my friends at the Fisheries Institute across
town who just turned off an important SQL Server application because
it crashed twice daily, sinking 1 Million Pounds UK donor money down
the drain (well their UK consultant and his family lived very very
well for 5 years in Namibia so it's not all lost :-)-O).

One of the researchers is seeing the light and we'll set him up with a
linux box RSN.  He asked me about Unix literature. So I pointed him
towards the Linux Documentation Project and he found an online course
fairly quickly.  I am convinced he will get linux sorted within a
month.

Oops, we used the Web again :-)-O, that'll make Nemo wake up :-)-O But
of course I read usenet news so I knew all about it beforehand :-)-O.

And, they have a 64Kpbs leased :-)-O.

But their mail still runs through Smail3.1.28.1 on the linux 1.0.15
which I set up in 1994 to pump mail via uucp through my box. Took two
lines change in the config, 5 minutes turning uucp of and changing
some cron scripts.

And an email to their ISP explaining RFC 1123, sections 5.2.2 and
5.2.18 requiring the sender's address to be resolveable.

Well, actually it took three emails before they got it :-)-O

greetings, el