Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  May 1998

AFRIK-IT May 1998

Re: idn.org - Sympathy is for the sick !!!

"Watermeyer, Henry" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 May 1998 11:10:38 +200

=Date:          Thu, 28 May 1998 10:27:53 +0200
=From:          Joris Komen <[log in to unmask]>
=Subject:       Re: idn.org and other informative web sites - panacea or
=               Pandora's box?
=To:            [log in to unmask]

Hi all

Joris wrote in response

=Hi!
=
=Christopher Byrne wrote:
=
=
=
=>Second, when the design of the IDN web site was done, it was with the
=>intention of minimizing download time.  There are further things that
=>can and will be done once we generate revenue from sponsorships and
=>memberships (which will allow us to hire staff to work on these areas).
=
=tsk-tsk,  this must be simply awful for a first world organisation, but

I agree. In my experience most Web sites that are dynamic and fun
have been built by the owners of the information themselves. It is a
very first world approach that says professional Web builders are
required to do anything.

Even I am experimenting, in the middle of the night, so that I can
build sites that are informative. The tools are ordinary every day
products available to most users.

=
=>If it took six minutes to download, I apologize, but I really do not
=>have much sympathy for users of 9600 baud or 14.4 K modems who surf the
=>web with images turned on.  With Images off you have your text only
=>version.  And unless an animated GIF adds value, it will absolutely not
=>be used.  Those are 'Bandwidth Hogs'.
=
=Christopher just put his foot in it:-)  A lack of sympathy!!?? for users of
=copper wire and oldish modems "surfing" the web with images turned on ???
=Wow!  If this attitude is pervasive, then I really do see the merit in more
=frequent Lisse flames:-)  on this list!  It's time to come real with
=respect to your client base;  the great majority of erudite African web
=crawlers do this and lots more to make information retrieval a less than
=painful experience!  I
=know of at least a dozen African museum folk who regularly go to work at 5
=AM to check mail, let alone "surf" (hah!) the web!

Let me add to the "Lisse" flames on this one.

The arrogance that says that everybody must be connected via the some
high speed link is quite extraordinary.  The real world, maybe only
outside the US but I dont think so, is made up of millions of people
whose access to the Internet is from home, Community Centre or even
office using dial up modems over copper wire. Most of these dont work
too well above 24kb anywhere including the US from what I have seen.

If you are serious about providing an information resource then you
better make quite sure that optimise its utilisation of the network.

To assume that every one will switch to text only so that they can
learn about what you are offering is like say that school teachers
can only talk and not use any form of visual aids. Outdated and
rediculous in this day and age and a real turn "stop button" on a
browser.

If Christopher really meant what he said then his attidude once again
emphasises the big difference between saying you are doing something
usefull and actually delivering a worthwhile service.

"Think hard little brother, think hard."

Henry Watermeyer.

=
Subscribe to the IT Digest, an information resource from Wits Univ.
Send e-Mail to [log in to unmask]  with SUBSCRIBE ITDIGEST
and {your_user_id} in the body followed by END on the next line.
Henry C Watermeyer                         'Phone +27-11-716-3260/8000
Director - Computer 7 Network services     Fax    +27-11-339-1225
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
P/Bag 3, Wits 2050, South Africa           mobile +27-(0)82-800-8862
                 //SunSITE.Wits.ac.za      //WWW.Wits.ac.za