Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  May 1998

AFRIK-IT May 1998

Agreement reached to achieve global roaming for 3rd generation mobile systems

David Lush <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 May 1998 23:14:16 +0100

Greetings.

Can anyone say whether the following news from the ITU is good or bad news
for us? While the need for standardisation in cell technolgy seems long
over due, how will it affect existing service provision in Africa?

Collagues attending Africa Telecom were struck by the chaos surrounding the
selection of cell phone standards from country to country. Qualcomm, for
example were proudly announcing they were starting in DRC with CDMA
technology, while totally different systems (GSM and something else) were
being used just over the border in Zambia and, I think, Rwanda. Perhaps
either Ben Parker or Ahsak Kabani could help out here as I think I only got
part of the discussion....

But in short, does this mean Africa will be soon be lumbered with obsolete
cell technology while the rest of the world marches on with a standardised
system? Or could this "umbrella standard" talked about below help iron out
the existing discrepancies which exist from country to country?

Excuse my ignorance!

>From: ITU Press Office <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "David Lush, THE NAMIBIAN"<[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Agreement reached to achieve global roaming for 3rd generation
mobile systems
>Date: jeu, 21 mai 1998 16:05:00 +0100
>
>ITU/98-20
>Original: English
>
>Agreement reached to achieve global roaming for 3rd generation mobile systems
>
>Geneva –  At the initiative of the Chairman of ITU-T Study Group 11 (see
note below), Dr Sadahiko Kano, senior representatives of the world’s
telecommunications standards organizations from Europe (ETSI), Japan (TTC),
Korea (TTA) and North America (T1, TIA) discussed collaboration in the area
of networking for 3rd generation mobile systems. The participants met
together in Geneva, 18–19 May, as an Ad Hoc Group of the Global Standards
Collaboration (GSC) Meeting.

>They agreed to join forces towards the goal of achieving global roaming
for users anywhere – anytime within the framework of ITU standards. The
International Mobile Telecommunication 2000 or IMT-2000 is an initiative of
the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) which aims to integrate the
various satellite, terrestrial, fixed and mobile systems currently being
deployed and developed under an 'umbrella standard' or concept of "family
of systems". This concept which was endorsed by all the participating
standards bodies aims at facilitating the evolution from today’s regional
2nd generation systems that are incompatible with one another towards third
generation systems that will provide users with genuine global service
capabilities and interoperability soon after the year 2000.

>Under the third generation systems, users will not only be able to roam
among countries which currently use different technologies but will also be
capable of seamlessly moving between multiple networks – fixed and mobile,
cordless and cellular. As a result, product life cycle for core network and
transmission components should be longer and network operators, service
providers and manufacturers should benefit from increased flexibility and
cost effectiveness. A definite boon for the industry, the global approach
embedded in IMT-2000 whether technical, operational or functional, should
also prove particularly attractive to developing countries. But perhaps
more important, users who currently cannot use their handsets when they
travel to areas where other systems are in use, would greatly benefit in
terms of cheaper terminals through economies of scale, reduced tariffs
through increased competition, and greater functionality, operability and
choice of services and equipment. While the path of evolution as well as
their speed will be governed by the market needs, appropriate global
standards as well as the harmonized assignment of suitable spectrum by the
various national and regional authorities within the framework of the
internationally agreed spectrum allocations in the ITU Radio Regulations
will be the determining factors for a successful implementation of IMT-2000.

>IMT-2000 is being developed in recognition of the fact that future
wireless access systems will need to provide users with the same high
quality and broadband characteristics offered by fixed networks. As
wireless becomes a major part of global telecommunications, common network
components need to be developed which can provide virtually any desired
future service combination between wired or wireless access links. This is
all the more important in a competitive, multi-operator environment.

>"The agreement is a great step forward towards realizing a seamless global
communication infrastructure of the 21st century. With the planned
increased data rate of up to 2 Mbps, users can enjoy wireless multimedia
communication anywhere – anytime around the world." Dr. Sadahiko KANO,
Chairman of the meeting, said. "It is our intention to include fixed
wireline networks also as a part of the seamless global communication
infrastructure, so that it would be composed of both fixed and mobile
networks" he added.

>The agreement is significant because of the commitment of all key regional
standards organizations to  promote IMT-2000 as a backbone for tomorrow’s
mobile systems unhampered by differing national or regional implementations.

>"We expect ITU to continue to fulfill its leading role as the pre-eminent
body of the international telecom standardization with the support and
cooperation of regional standards organizations" said one of the
participants at the meeting, Dr. Edward Chien, President of
California-based Personal Telecommunications Technologies.

>For further information about this news release, contact:
>
>Dr. Sadahiko KANO
>Chairman of GSC Ad Hoc Group Meeting
>R&D Headquarters
>NTT
>Tokyo, Japan
>Tel: +81 3 53 59 41 05
>Fax: +81 3 53 59 16 25
>E-mail:
>
>Dr. Edward Chien
>Technical Secretary of GSC Ad Hoc Group Meeting and
>President, Personal Telecommunications Technologies, Inc., Hayward,
California, USA
>Tel: +1 510 732 9468
>Fax: +1 510 732 9439
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
>Ms. Francine Lambert
>Head, Press and Public Information
>ITU
>Tel: +41 22 730 5969
>Fax: +41 22 730 5939
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
>or consult our Web site at http://www.itu.int/imt/imt-2000.html
>
>Note: The ITU-T Study Group 11 is a group of experts of the International
Telecommunication Union, responsible for signalling requirements and
protocols for telephone, N-ISDN, B-ISDN, UPT, mobile and multimedia
communications.

>Notes to Editors
>   ETSI: European Telecommunications Standards Institute
>   T1: United States’ Standards Committee
>   TIA: Telecommunications Industry Association
>   TTC: Telecommunication Technology Committee of Japan
>   TTA: Telecommunications Technology Association of Korea
>
>   The goal of the Global Standards Collaboration is to further the
>   informal linkage among senior officials from the national, regional
>   and international standards bodies in support of the work of the
>   International Telecommunication Union.
>
>   The Global Standards Collaboration meetings provide a framework
>   for the exchange of information, the establishing of objectives to
>   accelerate the process of global telecommunications and standards
>   development and the promotion of interconnectivity and
>   interoperability.

David Lush
PO Box 8828
Backbrecht