AFRIK-IT May 1998

Telecoms Conference

David Lush <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 May 1998 21:31:23 +0100

Greetings.

While the suits with cellphones did business at Africa Telecom 98, NGO
representatives from southern and eastern Africa also discussed telecom
issues a few km down the road at a conference organised by the Media
Institute of Southern Africa (MISA) and Econews. Needless to say, there was
a far less commercial edge to the NGO conference, and there were some
interesting interactions between some Africa Telecom delegates invited to
speak, and the NGO people in attendance.

Here is the final communique of the MISA/Econews conference for those who
have not seen it.

Best wishes.

>Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 09:33:12 +0100
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (John Barker - MISA)
>Subject: Telecoms Conference
>
>The Media Institute of Southern Africa and Econews Africa recently
>organised a conference on New Information Technologies, Telecommunications
>Policy and Development. It was attended by abouty fifty delegates from 9
>African countries, these delegates will represented, media and policy NGOs,
>developmental ISPs and established regulatoriy bodies.
>
>The conference was be held in Johannesburg 5-8 May 1998, at the same time
>as the ITUs Africa Telecom 98 event. The reason for this is two fold.
>
>1. It enabled us to focus on the concerns of the non-governmental
>development sector in much more detail than would be possible at the ITU
>event.
>2. It was cost effective - we took advantage of the availability of some of
>the delegate from the ITU event to address our conference. The cost of
>holding a seperate fully subsidised conference costs about the same as 50
>registration fees for the ITU event.
>
>The following organisations represented.
>
>Journalists Association for the Environment of Tanzania, Media Counci.l of
>Tanzania, MISA Tanzana, Tanzanian telecoms Commision, Ugandan Network of
>Indigenous Voluntary Associations, Uganda posts and Telecoms, Uganda
>Journalists Union, Ugandan Human Rights Media Group, AMARC-Africa,Gaborone
>TV, Southern African Broadcasters Association, PANOS, Zamnet, Zambia
>Teleecoms, MISA Zambia, Uganda Womens Media Association, Association of
>Media Women Kenya, East African Internet Association, International
>Federation of Journalists Keyna, Kenyan community Media Network,  Kenyan
>Union of Journalists, Media Institue Nairobi, Nation Newspaper Group Kenya,
>Task force on Media Law Kenya, Telecommunications Foundation for Africa,
>MISA Zimbabwe, FAMW-SADC, MISA Malawi, Article 19, FXI, NCRF, Universal
>Service Agency, British Council, Info-Botswana, Rhodes University,
>Sangonet.
>
>Presentations were made by representatives of
>Worldbank, ITU, SATRA, USA, Pyramid Research, Sentech, Worldspace, Mission
>Mobile Education, Womens'net, Siemens, United Nations University -Institute
>for Technology, and others
>
>A full report of the conference will be available at the end of May.

>Media Institute of Southern Africa/Econews Africa Sub-Regional Workshop on
>Technological Convergence and Telecommunications Regulation
>Johannesburg, South Africa May 5-8,1998
>
>Participants at the sub-regional workshop on technological convergence and
>telecommunications regulation, held in Johannesburg, South Africa, from May
>5-8, 1998, representing freedom of expression NG0s, development information
>and communications NG0s, ISPs and interested telecommunications industry
>stakeholders, recommend the following:
>
>1.      The ITU and telecommunications service providers should redefine
> [...]
David Lush
PO Box 8828
Backbrecht
Windhoek