Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: favorite line?
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Apr 1998 22:33:41 -0700

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Scott wrote:

> ... one phrase that has
> stuck with me, from _The Wasting Sickness of Cu/ Chulainn_, "Many gentle
> words have loved you." Cu/'s wife Emer says this to him when he is on his
> sickbed. I would love to know the OI for it.

I like it, too.  Here you go:  Ilar mbriathar mbla/ith rot char.

ilar = a multitude, many

mbriathar mbla/ith = of-words gentle [pronounce the 'm', not the 'b']

rot char = did-you love ('ro' is verbal particle that indicates completed
action; '-t' is the infixed object pronoun "you"; 'car' the verb itself)

Dennis King