Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: favorite line
From: Robin Stacey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Apr 1998 13:01:35 -0700

The phrase I've personally found most useful is the following:  Sce/fe
dia tuidchis ni/ bus mo/, "I will vomit if you come any closer," from
Sce/la Cano meic Gartna/in.  I served for four years as a Dean at
Yale, and in that capacity was allowed/required to provide
postponements for exams, papers, and the like for students who had
become ill or suffered some sort of personal tragedy.  Needless to
say, this meant FREQUENT visitations from students at certain times of the
year, and I was struck by the possibilities of this phrase.  What better
way to express one's feelings on those occasional days when it had all
gotten to be too much (usually around finals) without actually insulting
students of whom one was normally very fond?  And, considering that some
of the truly ill students showed up in my office in advanced stages of
physical decay, the phrase sometimes said nothing more than the truth.  I
confided all this to my Administrative Assistant, who had it made up into
a desk sign for me for Christmas, and I've kept it ever since.

Robin Chapman Stacey