Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: favorite line?
From: Caoimhin O Donnaile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Apr 1998 19:35:38 +0100

Dúirt Donncha:

> It occurs to me that, unlike Latin, which students once routinely
> learned well enough to compose in, students and scholars don't
> attempt to express themselves in Old Irish.

Maith thu, a Dhonnachaidh.  Is fíor duit.  Fuair mé leabhar ó mo
deirfiúr ag am na Nollag:

    Latin for all Occasions
   (Lingua Latina Occasionibus Omnibus)
    le Henry Beard
   (Henricus Barbatus scripsit)
    ISBN 0-00-255941-2
   "From cocktail-party chitchat to bumper stickers to personal
    ads - everything you'll ever need to say in *perfect* Latin!"

Tá sé go h-iontach!  Is aoibhinn a bheith ag léamh Laidin chomh blasta.

       Was I speaking Latin again?
       Denuone Latine loquebar?

       Silly me.  Sometimes it just sort of slips out.
       Me ineptum.  Interdum modo elabitur.

(The above book is highly recommended.  I haven't laughed so much at a
book in ages.)