Subject: Nigel Tranter
From: Stephanie Steely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Apr 1998 20:44:27 -0400

        The April issue of the Scottish Banner includes an article by
Nigel Tranter called "The Paths of History".  In it he chronicles
how Scottish history, like the history of all nations, consists of a
series of ups and downs.  There are periods when everything seems to
go wrong followed by golden periods of achievement which are eventually
followed by another state of decline.

        His conclusion reads, "Today, thanks to a combination of
frustrations bearing upon us, world recession always striking most
heavily at 'the extremities', our most enterprising young folk for long
emigrating southward and overseas, unemployment increasing, the failure
of long-range government to recognise our special needs, THE FIASCO OF
THE RECENT REFERENDUM, the seeming lack of any urgent need to assert
ourselves in the face of general trends outwith our control, plus no
doubt too many years of comparatively soft living thanks to the welfare
state - a state essentially foreign to the Scots character - we are
considerably less than ourselves.  I, for one, do not doubt that we
shall sooner or later revert to type however, and the Scots will be the
Scots again."

        Can anyone tell me what Mr. Tranter meant by "the fiasco of the
recent referendum"?  What is his position regarding devolution and
Scottish independence?

Steph