Translation Dogs (was Re: Gaelic question.

"d. w. fortin" <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Sun, 19 Apr 1998 13:14:16 PDT

Hi Neil,

My prof (who also teaches Old Irish) made some interesting comments
during a Middle Welsh class, so I'd thought I'd mention the gist of them.

In Welsh, the term for dog/dogs is--ci (s); cwn (pl). Now he said that
the term referred not just to domesticated animals but also to wolves.
This is why the term was so well used in Ireland for names like Cu
Chulaind. Also, warriors were known as "Dogs of X", such as in Branwen,
where we find "Gwern gwn" "Dogs/Men of Gwern".

Additionally, in MW, cwn is a singulative--plural in meaning, singular in
form. Other words along these .lines are:

syr--seren (stars, star)
adar--ederyn (birds, bird)
cawn--conyn (reeds, reed)
llygot--llygodin (mice, mouse)

(cwn/ci is an irregular singulative).

Does Irish have the same thing?

Valete,

Dave
> Which Gaelic? You have a choice between "c" (pronounced "koo"),
>which can mean any kind of dog in Scots Gaelic but only a "hound" in
>Irish, or "madra" (pronunced "mahdruh") -- the corresponding word in
>SG
>is "madadh".
>

>le meas
>
>Neil
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]