Re: Picts identifed!

Bill <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Sat, 25 Apr 1998 06:57:45 -0500

>I go for Gaul, and in particular a sea-going tribe from the
>Biscay peninsula called (wait for it) the Pictones!

Paul,

Perhaps this is another example of Occam's razor, but I have often wondered
about the relationship to the Pictones and the Picts. I have not had the
time to study the Picts in any depths, but I do know something obout the
coins of the Pictones. The Pictones were a Gallic tribe that occupied much
of the area between the rivers Loire and Charene, from the coast to the
broad Southern bend of the Loire inland.

Their coins were largely minted during the 1st half of the 1st century BCE
(50-100BC). They contain some unusual symbols including what looks like an
Ox yoke with a human hand attached in the middle, pointing upward with the
fingers closed and the thumb stretched out. This is a unique symbol only
found on coins of the Pictones that I am aware. I wonder if a similar
symbol is found in Pictish art after your proposed migration some centuries
later. There are other symbols on these coins as well that are more
generally Celtic: wheels, wings, Celtic shields and 'cottor pins'

Some also are inscribed with the following: VIRETIOS, DURAT/IULIOS
(Duratius), SACTNOS and possibly VIIPOTAL and NERCOD. The meaning of these
inscriptions is unknown except for DURATIULOS who refers to a known person
Latinized as Duratius. I wonder if any of these words or names could be
related to Pictish words or names.

I realize that 300+ years is a long time, but with a people who probably
had a strong oral tradition it is possible that words and symbols were
maintained over the centuries.

Regards,

Bill

http://www.kernunnos.com
updated 4/5/98
Atrebates updated, text and commentary on each coin added