Subject: Re: XML for HR data/transactions?
From: "DuCharme, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:13:08 -0400

>>I have begun such work and have contacted the Society for Human Resource
>>Management [ www.shrm.org ] and the International Association for Human
>>Resource Information Management [ www.ihrim.org ]. They hadn't even
>>heard of XML yet, but they have now.
>
>>It is my firm belief that a standard must be established on top of XML
>>much like the current RDF effort. It will require an industry-specific
>>task force to include not only the above two organizations but also
>>PeopleSoft, etc.

If I understood Dan Connolly's keynote at XML '98 in Seattle correctly,
this is exactly what the W3C has in mind: they guide the efforts to
determine DTD syntax, and then the Society for (whatever) and
International Association for (whatever), etc. come up with a DTD that
can be shared by the (whatever) industry. There are plenty of precedents
in the SGML world such as the HL7-SGML initiative
(http://www.sil.org/sgml/gen-apps.html#HL7-SGML).

Good luck Jeff!

Bob DuCharme <bobducharme @ acm.org>
http://cs.nyu.edu/cs_alumni/duchar96
"The elements be kind to thee, and make thy spirits all of comfort!"
Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii