Subject: Re: Newbie
From: Don Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Apr 1998 23:58:32 -0500

At 07:08 PM 4/24/1998 +0000, Timar wrote:
>1. I've transformed some Adobe Type 1 font into Hungarian.
>When I save the file in Fontographer 3.5 I get 22 kB file size, but
>the original pfb was 35-48 kB. Is this loss of quality or not?

Yes. There is a whole class of hints which Fontographer strips out. The
only commercial program which retains these hints is FontLab
(http://www.fontlab.com), but it's PC only which might be a problem for
some readers (although not, apparently you).

>2. I can't use some of my new charachters, in place A0128-A0129,
>A0141-A0144, and above 32 (dec). I get bullets in these places.

This sounds like it might be a problem with character names and the Windows
code page. I think there's someone from MS on the list who should be able
to answer your question on this with some certainty.

-dh

---
Don Hosek           [log in to unmask]    Quixote Digital Typography
312-953-3679        fax: 312-803-0698     orders: 800-810-3311
For information about SERIF: THE MAGAZINE OF TYPE & TYPOGRAPHY,
http://www.quixote.com/serif/ or mail [log in to unmask]