Re: The Backlash Begins

Guthlaf <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Thu, 2 Apr 1998 11:33:35 -0800

Peadar Carraca/n wrote:

> I am, perhaps, a Celt-maniac. Surely I'd love to learn Gaelic - as I
> believe it'd give me allowance to some culturaly important material.
> Alas, Gaelic isn't an easy language - no language is easy but your own I
> believe. And, o fret on me, 'tis kinda impossible for me, as a
> Brazilian, to get in touch with spoken Gaelic (the best way to pick up a
> language is speakin' it and listenin' to it, eh?). The Establishment up
> there in Europe provides that no such things as "minorities" be known to
> us down here, so celtic culture is looked upon as an absurd and very
> insignificant manifestation among a very particular and exclusive
> blond-haired people from some unspoken-of country across the perilous
> sea. If I ask people 'round about the "celtic" countries, if I mention
> such an absurd thing as people who think about crawling out from
> underneath UK's warm wings, if I say I only wished I could get a book
> written in Gaelic, or whistle an irish jig and ask for a "celtic" CD in
> a store, I'll meet troubled glances, indeed I will. I don't think I
> shall give up Gaelic, I'll struggle fiercely, my weapons Neil's lessons
> and similar stuff, but it'll sure take me eons to have a real, if weak,
> grasp on the language...
>
> god bless you kindly,
>
> p.
>
> btw, not long ago it was when I had an imediate contact of the third
> degree with a genuine Celt (well, more genuine than himself I'll hardly
> found 'round here). He's my new English teacher (alas), a pal from South
> Wales, who had once some knowledge of welsh - but who lost it to the
> tides of time...

I think I can understand Peadar maybe like anyone else on this list.
Being an Argentinian Student with Arabic ascendance Iīve got only
glimpses of the Celtic Studies in my country. Iīm truly not connected
with Ireland but for some sort of "soul conection" -thatīs the best way
I can define it-, and since the moment I started doing research about
the Celts, I havenīt stopped (as much as possible in my country). When
someone ask me What are you studying? I answer like a tape:
"The Old Culture and Literature of the ancient inhabitants of Ireland,
Scotland and Wales, with the addition of the languages and some
arqueology, the music development and styles and their very particular
form of Art all that known as Celtic Studies". Thatīs the only way of
stopping those idiots who say "ahh, yeah, the Celts! Iīve heard an Enya
song once!, thatīs what you study?". The flattering itīs just a way of
solving the problem I think, but Itīs really terrible for people so far
away as Peadar or me, to see how much ignorance and lack respect exist
within your own neighbourhood.

Concerning the matter of taking serious the Languages, I think thatīs
itīs just like anything else. Someone with talent, itīs -for me- just
someone obsessioned with something. If you are obsessioned with
something, youīll probably be good at that matter. Not just about Celtic
Languages or Literature but about everything in life. The world it just
too gray - at least here in my country, (thatīs why Iīm planning to go
to the Green Isle?maybe)- to use only the faintest colors in life.
Personally I prefer, concerning Celtic Culture in particular and life in
general, to use full colors, always.

                        Le Meas Mór

                                        Guthlaf
                                        (a.k.a.: Marcos A. Bale)