Re: Goddess Aine

Francine Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Tue, 14 Apr 1998 19:46:28 -0400

Dave Fortin wrote:

        >If you're really interested in the Celtic Cultures, go to the
> library/bookstore and find yourself some good stuff to read.  If
> you're
> just starting, "How the Irish Saved Civilization" might not be a bad
> place to begin,

I don't recommend this book. In my opinion, it's almost as lightweight
as the Dal Riada posting we're criticizing. I'd recommend Cunliffe's
_The Ancient Celts_.

> maybe look at some of the poetry anthologies, such as
> Seamus Heaney's or "the Golden Treasury of Irish Poetry" put together
> by
> Greene and O'Connor.  Maybe try Thomas Kinsella's "The Tain" or
> Kenneth
> Jackson's "Early Irish Myths and Sagas".

Umm, I think you mean either Jackson's _A Celtic Miscellany_--which is a
terrific suggestion becasue it's truly Celtic and not just Irish--or
Jeffrey Gantz' _Early Irish Myths and Sagas_.

> As for literary criticism, a
> good place to begin is Frank O'Connor's "A Short History of Irish
> Literature".
>
> Historically,for starters,  John Davies "A History of Wales" is good,
> as
> is David Walker's "Medieval Wales".  There's also Bardon's "History of
> Ulster" and if you can find it AJ Otway-Ruthvin's "A History of
> Medieval
> Ireland" (much more readable than Daibhi O'Croinin's "Early Medieval
> Ireland", though O'Croinin is an excellent source).

I'd also strongly recommend Michael Richter's _Medieval Ireland_.

> Also, try the Mabinogion or the "Lais of Marie de France".

        Here's my latest attempt at a "beginner's reading list."

Barry Cunliffe, _The Ancient Celts_
Anne Ross, _Pagan Celtic Britain_
Miranda Green, _Celtic Myths_
K. H. Jackson, _A Celtic Miscellany_
T. Kinsella, _The T/ain_
A. Carmichael, _Carmina Gadelica_
M. Green, _Exploring the World of the Druids_
M.-L Sjoestedt, _Gods and Heroes of the Celts_
Lady Gregory, _Gods and Fighting Men_
William Wilde, _Irish Popular Superstitions_
Megaw & Megaw, _Celtic Art from Its Beginnings to the Book of Kells_

My second level would be:

Koch & Carey, _Celtic Heroic Age_
Rees & Rees, _Celtic Heritage_
Green, _Gods of the Celts_
Green, _Celtic Goddesses_
Green, ed., _Celtic World_
Lincoln, _Death, War, and Sacrifice_
Winn, _Heaven, Heroes, and Happiness_
H. R. Davidson, _Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe: Early Scandinavian
and Celtic Religions_
Brenneman & Brenneman, _Crossing the Circle at the Holy Wells of
Ireland_
M. Green, _Symbol and Image in Celtic Religious Art_

And if one has an extra $85 (right!) or access to a good library, _The
Celts_, edited by Moscati, is a beautiful book full of wonderful color
plates and terrific articles by the foremost archaeologists in Europe.
Also try to find P. MacCana, _Celtic Mythology_ which is oop.

        Francine Nicholson