AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  April 1998

AFRIK-IT April 1998

Re: Defining the Internet

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 Apr 1998 21:04:41 +0100

Nemo

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Nemo Semret writes:

> Perhaps you're not finding your resources on the web because you
> have a prejudice against the web.

Now how did you come up with this one?

Again, I have been doing this since 1982, since 1990 in this
country. I am an advisor to two popular medical web sites in my fields
of interest (anesthetics and obstetrics).

I have changed my medical practice through the Internet, but so far
it's been exclusively through mailing lists, abstract services and
personal contacts.

I have found some very important stuff on Web sites, but it was all
available on FTP sites that I had been pointed to. The odd nugget is
just not worth the time on line to search for it. (Remember I sit in
Africa, 400 km from the next bigger city)

> As of 1998, almost any piece of human knowledge has probably been
> put on the web by someone somehwere (note the "almost").

So, where is it?

> Let me take an example from your profession (since evidently you
> weren't convinced by the one from mine).

> I can diagnose myself by typing in symptoms as key words in a search
> engine.

Why don't you send me the URL of such a clever engine?

> Of course, I must excercise judgement to sift out the junk
> information (but you learn how to do that after a few weeks of
> surfing), and of course any treatement should be given by a
> qualified doctor (lest you think I am threatening your livelihood
> ;),

Don't you worry about competing, I am a civil servant :-)-O

> but the web gives every person the equivalent of every handbook,
> almanac whatever, that people could have on their family bookshelf
> to help them care for themselves.

Where?

> I would say this is pretty valuable where there are few doctors.

Nope. Where there are few doctors there are few resources...

> Maybe a village nurse could use it.

Well, if she had the funds, telephone, electricity, a computer, modem,
computer literacy, English, and the time she might actually try this
once. However, my village nurses read their treatment manual and if
that doesn't cover it to their satisfaction they phone me.

Trust me on this one, medicine on the web is not at all a good
example.

[...]

> Why do you want to decide who needs what?

I'm not deciding anything.

I am giving an opinion (based on personal experience) on where to put
donor funding. This money, your tax money, is supposed to *HELP* the
needy, not pamper an urban elite.

> > If there is a demand, there will be a supplier.
[...]

> I absolutely agree. Let the users ask for whatever they think they
> need, and let the providers provide. Users will naturally make the
> choice of service that optimizes within their budget.
[...]

I thought about competition after posting my previous message, I
should have raised this. It's very important to have more than one
provider. Lowers the prices, improves the service and disposition of
the hot line staff :-)-O, and so on.

el
--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse\         /              Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]>         *        |               Resident Medical Officer