AFRIK-IT April 1998

Re: e-mail on HF radio (fwd)

Gianluca Bruni <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:43:10 +0400

Hi Ben,

Long time...

And I believe you have a very good point in the distinction between "TCP/IP
over HF" and "messaging over HF": without getting in details, they are both
interesting areas, both still being explored, but they should be considered
separately.

I think it would be interesting to also include the area of 'information
over HF', which would consider using communication protocols or messaging
systems to transport, more generally, 'information', of which messaging is
only a small component (I've just received a message from Rob Silva - CODAN
- that explains this concept using TCP/IP....).

But let's stick to your question... A small correction on your page and on
your message below: Bushnet does not use "hacked cc:Mail", but a polling
and gateway system that we call "bushpoll" (developed internally). The main
advantage is that it is developed specifically for an HF service provider,
or more generally for organisations with multiple HF client stations, and
it allows load sharing between several polling systems, even operating
remotely from the central hub.

The client software is still cc:Mail.

In terms of equipment costs, CODAN (Rob?) is probably the best to answer
this. At present I believe a complete data station is around US$ 6,300.

In terms of our own costs, it is rather difficult to quantify, because we
provide different pricing solutions depending on how much a client plans to
move through the system and what services he is accessing (messaging,
intranet, extranet, fax, web, ...).

To give you two basic scenarios:

1. A standard client doing messaging only, would pay 30 US cents per kb
_effectively_moved_through_the_system - which means that it doesn't depend
on time on air, and doesn't pay if he doesn't use it or if there are
problems in the transmission,

2. A client part of a network, using intranet services, would pay US$ 500
for all the mail he can move.

It's rather difficult to indicate costs as I did above, because there are
implications and constraints mostly due to the nature of HF and the type of
services accessed, but I hope it will help you in filling your table...

Let me know if there is any other information you need.

Ciao,
gianluca