Re: Neue Classification Progress

Neil Kandalgaonkar <[log in to unmask]>

TYPO-L Discussion of Type and Typographic Design <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Mar 1998 23:23:48 -0500

At 7:07 PM -0500 1/3/98, John Langdon wrote:
>On we go! (feel free to rename classifications and name examples)
>
>Packaging types: things that look like Rave flyer corporate packaging
>rip-offs.

Some of these are good; for the worst, I would call these "Presets", in
honour of the sort of music they are associated with -- basic modifications
of the presets on a keyboard.

More:

Reader's Digestives: a genre of mushy "humanist" font, usually with
absurdly large x-height. Found in stories of enduring interest, compiled
monthly.

Pseudo-Afro: based on the equation Africa = primitive; rough-hewn, very
black capitals. Black, get it?!?! Black!?!!?

Pinata: When you want to give your layout a bit of that Latino "sizzle".
Similar to Pseudo-Afro, but each letter has to contain some sort of
typographic confetti.

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar [log in to unmask]