Subject: Re: Art, Craft TAN:class
From: gunnar swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:47:44 -0600

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Rodolfo Capeto wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, gunnar swanson wrote:
> > You're forcing me to sound like a doctrinaire lefty here.)
> Yes, almost. Twenty years ago I'd tend to agree with your
> socio-materialistic views. Now I find them quite simplistic, and
> totally insufficient to explain or even describe [great] art's
> irreducible 'otherness'. (Which BTW has nothing to do with type
> design.)

It not only has nothing to do with type design, it has nothing to do with
anything I said. I did not attempt to explain or even deal with "[great]
art's irreducible 'otherness'" nor did I deal with kosher meat processing
or carburetion systems of early Italian racing cars and I certainly did
not explain how recognizing social constructs will reconcile Newtonian and
quantum physics.

What I did say is that two words with a myriad of definitions and a series
of confused concepts behind them held people in debate more because of
social cache than because of the terms' abilities to reveal anything
important.

If you want to talk about "irreducible 'otherness'" in type design, that
would be an interesting topic. Phrasing it that way would be much more
productive than saying "This or that typeface is or is not art."

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson                          Gunnar Swanson
University of Minnesota Duluth          Gunnar Swanson Design Office
Art Department                          2213 Dunedin Avenue
317 Humanities                          Duluth MN 55803-2226
Duluth MN 55812
                                        218/724-9620
218/726-8827                            fax:218/724-9621
[log in to unmask]                      [log in to unmask]