Subject: Re: Art, Craft TAN:class
From: gunnar swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Mar 1998 20:06:02 -0600

I was not attempting to psychoanalyze anyone. I was offering what seems to
me to be the best explanation for people holding a conversation where they
passionately argue over how something fits into two categories that are
defined so broadly and so variously that the discussion could not possibly
be fruitful. I offered it as -an- explanation and did not consider it a
personal attack on anyone's politics. While I still do not believe that my
point should or does go hand-in-hand with any particular politics, the
answers to my post have convinced me that I was right.

Gunnar

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Hrant H. Papazian wrote:

> gunnar swanson wrote:
> > Of course it does. To say that you've internalized the values of your
> > class (or that any of us have internalized the values of the dominant
> > group) is not to say that you'll be completely exemplary of them.
>
> Sorry to shatter your unification theory approach to labelling the
> discussion about Art and Craft, but I don't fit at all in your
> oversimplified world view.
>
> And I maintain that my participation had not even a tinge of trying
> to prove any group's superiority, thus invalidating your statement.
> People are too complex: you can't pretend to psychoanalyze them
> based on some exchanges in ASCII.
>
> > Certainly you're not going to try to make the case that art is a
> > working class phenomenon? It sounds like you are trying to make
> > class distinctions more determinist than the dumbest marxist
> > ever did.
>
> Of course not. You're the one trying to nuzzle the Art and Craft
> discussion into a cozy little cage that your philosophies can
> handle. I might be a marxist, but I've never sounded as
> "wannabe-Marxist" as your statement does...
>
> P.S. I'm very political, but I've deviated enough from type-related
> issues that I'd be willing to discuss this further only in private.
>
> hrant h papazian

Gunnar Swanson                          Gunnar Swanson
University of Minnesota Duluth          Gunnar Swanson Design Office
Art Department                          2213 Dunedin Avenue
317 Humanities                          Duluth MN 55803-2226
Duluth MN 55812
                                        218/724-9620
218/726-8827                            fax:218/724-9621
[log in to unmask]                      [log in to unmask]