Subject: Why XML?
From: John Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:23:27 -0800

Why is everyone getting so excited about XML?

We've come a long way in the development industry to get away from
relying on data formats, and moving towards relying on interfaces in
object models.  And now, rather than helping that cause we're
spending time working out 'vocabulary' for XML files.  A whole new
protocol to add to the aleady inconsistent state of affairs.

Why not, instead, declare XML as a standard between CORBA, COM,
JavaBeans and other object technologies for formatting marshaled
objects?  We can have access to the data via object method
invocations via scripting or code behind the HTML page.  Some methods
may simply return data held in the marshal packet, other methods may
actually process and calculate via code in the object (albeit remote
or local) in order to return richer data.  What's most important is
that it's up to the object code to decide whether or not to do that.
 The XML file can also cater for times when the code isn't available,
where properties relate directly to fields defined in the XML
document.

In this scenario we're not talking about accessing XML directly,
we're talking about using an object technology like COM or CORBA or
JavaBeans to access data via an object - and allowing communication
between these different technologies by having a common standard for
marshaling the object from machine to machine.

If XML is used in the way it is currently being used, it provides
nothing but a very basic and primitive form of access to data and is
a backwards step in programming evolution.  I hope someone important
realises that.

John Wood

NOTE:
None of the statements, intentions and comments declared
in this document reflect the opinion of royalblue technologies
corporation or royalblue technologies plc.  This is a personal
email, and is in no way affiliated with any particular company.