Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: Iodine in brown seaweeds
From: Jane Teas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:07:35 -0500

I have narrowed down my search for information, and wondered if anyone
might be able to direct me to some answers.

1.  It seems that iodine is measured by digestion in chloric acid by
endocrinologists, and by ashing by phycologists.  Does anyone know if the
two methods produce similar results?

2.  It seems that the form of the iodine is important, and that according
to one author, there are 130 coumpounds containing the element iodine,
which have all been included in the generic term "iodine."  Does anyone
know what the form is of iodine in brown seaweeds?

3.  It seems that the form of iodine is important in determining its
action on breast tissue.  The thyroid is rich in peroxidase which can
oxide iodide to iodine, but the breast is not.  It therefore might be
important to know what is  the form of iodine in the seaweed.

        The article describing this issue is:  Iodine replacement in
fibrocystic disease of the breast.  Ghent WR, Eskin BA, Low DA and Hill
LP.  Canadian Journal of Surgery 36(5) Oct 1993, P453-460.

4.  I have found rumors about the kind of iodine in brown seaweeds, but
the only published reference is in Seibin and Teruko Arasaki's book,
Vegetables from the Sea (1983).  They refer to a study by T. Tsuchiya,
done in 1971, in which "great amounts of thyroxin" were found in the brown
algae Analipus japonicus.  There is no bibliography in the book, and I have
been unable to find any study by Tsuchiya that deals with iodine or
seaweeds.  This may be a limitation of the journals referenced in
Medline.

I would greatly appreciate any information about this subject.

Thanks,

Jane
Jane Teas, Ph.D.
University of Massachusetts - Worcester Campus