Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  March 1998

AFRIK-IT March 1998

Summer Cooperative African Language Institute (1998)

"Mark L. Lilleleht" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Mar 1998 17:52:38 -0600

Please forgive the multiple cross-postings.

***

As you begin to make plans for the summer and direct students to various
summer opportunities, we'd like to remind you that the Summer Cooperative
African Language Institute (SCALI) will be held this year on the campus of
the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The Insitute is a joint venture of a number of Title VI institutions which
offers a wide variety of African language instruction on one central campus.
Last year's Institute was held at UCLA.

This year the Institute, hosted at UW-Madison, we will be offering Chichewa
I, Chichewa II, Hausa I, Lingala I, Luganda I, Setswana I, Swahili II, Wolof
I, Wolof II, Yoruba I and Zulu I and II. Each course is the equivalent of
one full year of language instruction and costs $1800 regardless of
residency or educational status. Participants will only be able to enroll in
one course.

The Institute will run for the eight week period of 15 June to 7 August.
Classes are scheduled for four hours a day, four days a week. Upon
successful completion of the coursework the student will have the equivalent
of a full academic year's worth of instruction and will receive eight
credits from the University of Wisconsin.

The Institute will be complemented by an ongoing African film festival
sponsored by the African Studies Program of the UW as well as numerous other
educational and social events. Arrangements are also being made for
interested students and faculty to be housed on campus at the French House,
which will serve as the locus of the Institute's extra-curricular events.

All the latest information as well as online registration is available at
our website:

http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/afrst/scali.html

Here you will also find links to other sites of interest, including a
listing of African languages being offered at other institutions this summer.

We realize that not everyone has access to the WWW. Thus, if you would like
information sent to you or know of someone who might be interested in the
Institute please let me know and we will be happy to mail copies of all
relevant information.

If you should have any questions about the Institute please do not hesitate
to get in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Mark L. Lilleleht
Coordinator, SCALI (1998)