Subject: Re: I want to create Crap! :-) or Fontographer v/s CorelDRAW
From: Travis Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 25 Feb 1998 21:05:33 -0700

"John, I think I can relate to you! Out of sheer enthusiam,
and without much experience (my background is journalism and
DTP) I'd like to create a few fonts (call them crap, crap
sans, crap modern and crap transitional) and I'm wondering,
if I should get Fontographer (but their web site doesn't
give much info), or use the program I know best, Draw 7 (8
soon!). I seem to recall the manual indicates the steps
required in creating _and saving_ a font file. Any
opinions?"

Yah - use both (but forget 8 its not even worth the
upgrade - ask me why and I'll tell you in private.  This
isn't an appropriate forum).  Fontographer is a bear if your
starting a face from scratch, but Corel has very unintuitive
spacing (and it doesn't support kerning).  So do the raw
design in Corel and do the metrics and hinting in
Fontographer.  As for enthusiastic, don't forget Crap
Script, Crappy Copperplate, Crap Roman and Gothic Crap, and
make sure you do the variations bold crap black crap, semi
crap, demi crap, and italic crap :)

BTW the 7 manual gives you the steps but it ignores one
major point - when you set up your 720pt characters thats
from the highest ascender to the lowest descender _not_ from
the baseline to top of the letter.  If you do it the second
way your letters will be about 30% too big and will look
silly.

-----
Travis Wall, Graphic Designer
Defiance Visual Industries

"Design is tribute art pays to industry"
-----               (Paul Finch)