Re: Glyph names in T1

Gary Munch <[log in to unmask]>

TYPO-L Discussion of Type and Typographic Design <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:09:30 -0500

What sort of behavior might we look for to find those characters that
should be suspected of having those glyph names? Crashes, non-printing,
glyph substitution, blank spaces, non-advancing cursor? Is the behavior
repeatable in several apps, or is there a particular sort of app that might
be affected by the unusual glyph names? Do people really call their glyphs
>Gunder,< instead of Gundercomma; or >iota¨´< instead of
iotadiaeresistonos? Is this a platform-specific problem or is it more

>Sorry if this is a repeat, but my post (or any answers) failed to appear in
>the digest.
>I'm wondering whether anyone on this list has experience with Type 1 fonts
>which have characters other than the basic alphanumerics (A-Z, a-z & 0-9)
>in their glyph name strings. Although characters like "." "_" and "-" are
>legal according to PostScript, I suspect some applications &/or PS
>implementations may have a narrower notion of what's allowed. For this
>question I'm obviously ignoring the ".notdef" character, which may be
>considered a special case.
>My thanks in advance for any & all information.
>- David Lemon
> type nerd
> Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs!

Gary Munch
Type & Type Design