Subject: Re: ITFI TypeSpec Special Report, February 5th, 1998
From: Don Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Feb 1998 22:06:58 -0600

At 07:16 PM 2/6/1998 -8, Rodger Whitlock wrote:
>CHris MacGregor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Note: The Adobe font which the court based his decision on was
>> Utopia.

>There is a sting in this: Utopia is the one Adobe font that is freely
>and legally available for download, having been "donated" to the
>X-consortium.

Interestingly enough, the judgment includes the statement, "His fair use
defense fails because his intermediate copying utilized unauthorized copies
of the Adobe programs in an apparent attempt to avoid being a party to
Adobe's license agreement."

In a footnote there's a reference to "Adobe's theory that defendants
'bodily appropriated' expression of a compilation."

I'll have an in-depth report on this in Serif 6.

-dh

---
Don Hosek           [log in to unmask]    Quixote Digital Typography
312-953-3679        fax: 312-803-0698     orders: 800-810-3311
For information about SERIF: THE MAGAZINE OF TYPE & TYPOGRAPHY,
http://www.quixote.com/serif/ or mail [log in to unmask]