Subject: Re: ITFI TypeSpec Special Report, February 5th, 1998
From: Don Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Feb 1998 22:06:58 -0600

At 07:16 PM 2/6/1998 -8, Rodger Whitlock wrote:
>CHris MacGregor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Note: The Adobe font which the court based his decision on was
>> Utopia.

>There is a sting in this: Utopia is the one Adobe font that is freely
>and legally available for download, having been "donated" to the

Interestingly enough, the judgment includes the statement, "His fair use
defense fails because his intermediate copying utilized unauthorized copies
of the Adobe programs in an apparent attempt to avoid being a party to
Adobe's license agreement."

In a footnote there's a reference to "Adobe's theory that defendants
'bodily appropriated' expression of a compilation."

I'll have an in-depth report on this in Serif 6.

Don Hosek           [log in to unmask]    Quixote Digital Typography
312-953-3679        fax: 312-803-0698     orders: 800-810-3311
For information about SERIF: THE MAGAZINE OF TYPE & TYPOGRAPHY, or mail [log in to unmask]