Subject: Re: Typewriter fonts
From: John Langdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 22 Feb 1998 18:40:03 -0500

>"Grunge" generally meant grime, dirt, encrustation. . .

>Since a new brand of purposely distressed typefaces was associated with
>the plaid flannel shirt bands, "grunge" stuck on such typefaces

Or since the typefaces had a sense of encrustation, dirt and grime, and the
word was currently popular...  BTW, the term was applied to the
Philadelphia Phillies baseball team a few years back, or at least to John
Kruk, who seemed in his overweight, unshaven, truck-stop hairstyle, to
really embody the term quite well. And I never saw him in a plaid shirt...

JL

John Langdon
http://design.coda.drexel.edu/faculty/johnlangdon/wordplay.html