Subject: Re: On-Line Typography Tutorials
From: "Hrant H. Papazian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:37:34 -0800

Terri Gregory wrote:
> The way I learned about typography was to study everything I could
> get my hands on--books, magazines, everything. I never presumed
> that I could "pick up" definitive knowledge from the Web or some
> such, and although my learning has been over the last ten years,
> before the hey day of the Web, it holds that the best place to
> learn typography is not on the fly.

Most of my [still budding] type education has been through books,
but whether we like it or not, the web will start hosting more and
more typography, and will eventually be mainstream.

The best place to learn about web typography is the web.

Along with its problems, the web's obvious advantages make it very
useful in some respects, even today: it cannot be dismissed.

This is not to say that disipline in education is not [perhaps] the
most important factor. Typography in any medium is best not learned
on the fly. In fact, I can think of only one thing that is...

hrant h papazian