Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: New Web Site - Smithsonian Institution Algae Collection
From: Robert Sims <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Feb 1998 07:44:43 -0500

Phycological Colleagues,

The U.S. National Herbarium at the Smithsonian Institution has developed
a World Wide Web site that  includes a general introduction to the algae,
recent staff publications (including selected abstracts), and information
about the herbarium.  The URL address is:

http:// www.nmnh.si.edu/botany/projects/algae

The herbarium collection is comprised of marine, estuarine, freshwater,
terrestrial (including cave), and airborne algae.  The algal holdings are
worldwide in origin, with strong representation of tropical and
subtropical marine algae. The collection includes over 183,000 pressed
specimens plus an additional 61,600 specimens on microscope slides, in
boxes, or preserved in liquid.  The entire collection, including all type
specimens, has been computer inventoried on the museum collection
database.  At the present time, the museum database is only available
through in-house computer terminals, but printed reports can be
generated upon request.  TYPE COLLECTION is a database that is
directly searchable via the World Wide Web.  It is still under construction
and currently includes only the type specimens in the Phaeophyta.

We plan to update our site periodically and we would appreciate your
comments, corrections, and suggestions for improvements or additions.
We would like to hear from you.  Please address letters or E-mail to
James N. Norris or Robert Sims:

[log in to unmask]   or   [log in to unmask]

Department of Botany, NHB-166
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, DC  20560-0001