Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: RHEOLOGY CONFERENCE
From: ian jenkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Jan 1998 18:47:43 +0100

Hello fellow slime-mongers everywhere!
The properties of
* slime,
* mucus,
* organic aggregates,
* transparent exopolymeric particles
* glycocalyxes
and other polymeric what-snot are becoming increasingly recognised as
changing the rheological, hydrodynamic and adsorptive properties of the
medium around many algae, from pico to macro (and let's not forget
bacteria and the animals).

THAT'S WHY I'm taking the liberty of drawing your attention to

The Slovenian Society of Rheology's hosting of:
THE FIFTH EUROPEAN RHEOLOGY CONFERENCE
at Portoroz, Slovenia from 6 to 11 September, 1998.

The conference venue is within walking (or cycling) distance of the
Marine Station at Piran, on the Northern Adriatic, a coast (particularly
just across in Italy) where interaction between sea, sun and algal
slime represents big business.

Deadline for abstract submission is 15 January 1998.

I already know of some phytoplankton people planning to present papers.
You can get details from the very nice conference website at
http://www.fs.uni-lj.si/cem/RHEO.html or from
Professor Igor Emri, Center for Experimental Mechanics,
University of Ljubliana, Cesta na Brdo 49, SI-1125 Ljubliana, Slovenia,
Tel: +386 61 123 2247; Fax +386 61 123 2471, e-mail: [log in to unmask]

or I'll fax you the brochure, if you like.

If algal or marine colleagues planning to attend (any chance of a copy
of your abstract?) could you please let me know, as this could help me
and/or others to organise, I hope, some sort of brainstorming session
with the rheologists.

As we say in France, Venez nombreux!
--
Ian Jenkinson
ACRO, Lavergne, 19320 La Roche Canillac, France

*** Replies go to the list unless readdressed to:
ian jenkinson <[log in to unmask]>
* To leave this list, send "unsubscribe phycotoxins" to