Subject: Re: Roman Numerals
From: Richard ElGuru Howland-Bolton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 7 Dec 1997 09:41:19 -0500

>I heard a tale that "long ago in a far away land there was once a
>watchmaker..." etc....

I would guess that it's nonsense :-)
I've seen many mediaeval mss with 4 written iiii (or often iiij) and
suspect that they are merely variations. I've seen watches and clocks done
both ways too.

nice story though.

Richard E. Howland-Bolton          Cornell University
Manager Publications Computing     Publications Guru
  Internet: [log in to unmask]       ftp:
Compuserve: 71041,2133             AppleLink: CUGURU
     Voice: (607) 255-9455         Fax: (607) 255-5684
      Post: Publications, East Hill Plaza, Ithaca, NY 14850
   If you're in town, come play soccer at Northeast School
 --Wednesdays at 5:30, Saturdays at 10:00 and Sundays at 3:00
      (DeWitt Middle School is our alternative venue)