Help for UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Re: bass drone reed (was Re: Sv: Pipe sound
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:18:53 -0600 (CST)

>From:	IN%"[log in to unmask]" 26-NOV-1997 11:20:30.85
>Subj:	bass drone reed (was Re: Sv: Pipe sound

>Hi chris,

>> And now a more important question - my bass drone doesn't have
>> a resonator on the end  (although the end fitting may be hollowed
>>  out a bit like GHB drones .. I've never dared to remove it) --
>> does a resonator make a big difference? (I never have been able to
>>  make a working bass drone reed).

>I have taken mine off (rather it fell off in the winter) and I
>couldn't hear any difference.

>Have you tried a composite reed (brass and cane or spruce)?
>Mine work very well.  I never could get a quill to work.

I have tried brass with plastic tongue (styrene, I think)  ---
 The major upsetting factor seems to be the 1st joint below the
 reed. If I close this right down (so no cavity), the reed
at least sounds steady - no screeching -- although usually at the
wrong pitch.  If I slide the drone out even 1/2" then the reed
goes crazy - presumably there is a big impedance mismatch here.
Does anyone else notice a big change in the 1st 1/2" (I realize
from GHB that drone tone is better when you are tuning out,
but their reeds don't go nuts -usually- when you tune right down to
the pin.)