AFRIK-IT November 1997

Y2K Induced Recession

Patrick O'Beirne <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 Nov 1997 16:24:48 +0000

I raised a question some time ago about the Year 2000 problem in computers
in Africa, but no debate resulted. Anyone care to comment on this following?
------------------------------
From: Tony Keyes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Recession: Y2K Induced Recession

The issue is no longer whether we will experience a Y2K induced, global
recession, but rather how deep, (i.e. depression) and how long.

In order to appreciate why I take such a definitive position, you must
understand that my point of view is not parochial.  I am not interested in
debating whether GM will make it on time, or the IRS or even the USA for
that matter.  Rather, I am approaching the issue from a global perspective.
 Please refer to my testimony, and that of several other distinguished
experts at the following URL:

http://www.house.gov/science/welcome.htm#technology

Pay particular attention to the testimony given by UN Ambassador Kamal.
His facts, I believe are incontrovertible.  There is no way you could
construe that his testimony would be self serving, or that there might be
some hidden agenda.  All the rest of us are certainly subject to suspicion
that we have something to gain from the picture we paint.

The vast majority of the 185 countries that participate in the UN
Informatics Working Group, which Ambassador Kamal chairs, have not begun to
address Y2K. Assuming that by some miracle the G-7 nations are able to
complete work on major systems on time, our international communications
network continues to function, international transportation is not affected
and yet the "third world" and developing nations don't make it.  We're sunk.

As demonstrated by the recent Hong Kong tremor, all our economies are
inextricably intertwined.  We rely on these "minor player" countries to
consume our products and supply us with raw materials.  An interruption in
this balance of trade will be a disaster.
Tony Keyes is host of Washington, DC based radio program, "The Y2K Investor"
And author of:  "The Year 2000 Computer Crisis, An Investor's Survival Guide"
Website: http://www.y2kinvestor.com

Reuters: <A
HREF="http://www.infoseek.com/Content?arn=a0834LBY337reulb-19971106&col=D4"
target="article_new">S.Africa millennium compliance may cost 21 bln rand</A>