Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  November 1997

AFRIK-IT November 1997

Re: Assessing the Cost WAS Y2K Induced Recession

Chris Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Nov 1997 23:25:42 +0200

>From: "Watermeyer, Henry" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
>        Chris Anderson <[log in to unmask]>,
>        Clinton Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:          Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:18:59 +200
>Subject:       Re: Assessing the Cost WAS Y2K Induced Recession
>
>=Date sent:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:24:53 +0200
>=To:             [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
>=                Chris Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
>=From:           Clinton Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>=Subject:        Re: Assessing the Cost WAS Y2K Induced Recession
>
>Hi again
>
>+++ Clinton Jones wrote:-
>
>=As previously mentioned, ID documents and a number of other items that hinge
>=on the South African identity number system, are at risk here, more
>=particularly; I think two other major mechanisms are going to see the folly
>
>Its not the embedding of the year in the number that matters but how
>its used. If Government systems only use the year for information, and
>I suspect that most of them do since the Id number has already had a
>00 problem before, there should be no real problem.
>
>Many people issued with Id cards were born last centuary, some even
>in 1900. Dont get too concerned about that one I suggest unless you
>have built systems which rely on the year field in the Id number!!!!
>Thats a very stupid thing to do!!!!
>
>=of their ways, namely credit bureaux, banks and the good old SABC. The banks
>
>I cant comment on credit bureaux or their problems but as businesses
>they have a responsibility to themselves and their shareholders as
>much as to the clients and the poor suckers whose names are in there.
>
>Their in ability to operate, give accurate information, will shortern
>their live expectancies but might stimulate commerce.
>
>Again the SABCs biggest problems as I see it are not in the
>administrative systems, billing etc  which are primarily not time
>critical applications but with the very hi tec kit used to actually
>deliver the correct programme at the right frequency and time from
>the correct archive or storage mechanism.
>
>The major admin system that might have a short duration problem will
>be that used to record the time spent on playing music for royalty
>purposes. Since its mostly voice at New Years start the problems will
>be small.
>
>What happens however if all the programme material held in their
>electronic stores becomes time expired over night and is automatically
>deleted. We have systems that do that.
>
>Even restores from automatic backup logs may not work because the
>last log record will say "date expired, delete *.*" or equivelent.
>
>Again my heart will not bleed for them. They are an independant
>operator, theoretically managed by professionals and staffed at
>reasonably commercial packages. If they screw it up, we get blessed
>silence and they presumably get fired.
>

>=are already reeling at the implications of millenium tick over for
> [...]
Chris Anderson          email:                       [log in to unmask]
Y2K Cinderella Project          [log in to unmask]
http://www.cinderella.co.za             Striving for Year 2000 Compliance