TYPO-L October 1997

Re: TypeRight Press Release

Francois Villebrod <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Oct 1997 05:30:34 +0100

CHris MacGregor wrote on TYPO-L:

> Generally I do not like posting press releases to a mailing list,
> and if this bugs anyone I am sorry, but this is topic related:

CHris,

Why trying to wear a fig leaf over a press release :-) ?
I believe everyone here is appreciating your commitment to TypeRight and
thinks that the best you had to do, following the award, was to inform
us about it. A press release is the normal channel for that purpose, and
I wish more people would use it when they have something new and
interesting to announce within the topics of this list.

> Font copyright collective wins Publish Impact award

Congratulations! I wish this can bring even more concern and fruitful
debate over the typeface design protection issue, not just in the US but
also in Europe and on other continents. Because shedding light on the
exact situation of typeface protection in every country could have some
positive repercussions on the US Congress and US Copyright Office
attitude (shame on them before the rest of the developped World! Who is
the World leader in this case?).

But also because the issue is not that clear in Europe either.
Legislation here is still in the making or being improved and the
graphic profession, including type designers (and, a fortiori, the
public and the enterprises who hire the services of the graphic
profession) are not well aware of what is happening, or are not aware of
what they can do or cannot do in relation with the use of type as a
design.

For several years I have been designing type in Greece, the European
country with the highest rate of software piracy, and this has been a
real struggle. Now I am rejoycing at the existence of a brand new
presidential decree which instates for the first time in Greece the
registration of designs, including type (it adheres to the Hague
Convention). It theoretically provides the designer with powerful means
for stopping unlicensed use and counterfeiting, but it remains to be
seen how the new law will be implemented, how long it will take for the
courts to adapt to the new trend and how many crooked lawyers will find
tricks to turn around the law or invent preventive strategies for their
unlawful clients. For the moment anyway it seems that the
"non-registered" users are taking heed, as several of them have recently
been willing to regularize their situation... (Just to show you how a
good law can help in changing mentalities)

I would adhere to TypeRight if it had a broader horizon. Hobbying for
Font Copyright in the US is a great cause and it helps anyone, in the US
or not, who tries or wishes to try selling fonts over there. But it
seems to me that a higher level in the font protection cause would be
reached if one could provide a wider exchange of information on how a
type designer can defend, and *actually does* defend, her/his designs in
one and every country of this planet.

I can imagine how beneficial it would be if one could hear how these
designers, type foundries and vendors deal with the copyrighting or
registration of their designs and font software, and how they manage to
go against pirate users and counterfeiting. It would be interesting to
share reports and comments about recent legal cases, in particular those
concerned with protection of the designs. It would also be useful to
designers to be shown how to write legally proof user licenses that can
apply on the global market, or to be taught how to use design protection
laws to stop illegal practices.

In other words, this award encourages all parties interested on Earth to
go further against font piracy and to possibly bring their efforts
together, because when the law changes for better in the US and
elsewhere, we'll still have to know how to use it.

To all, sincerely,

Francois H. Villebrod         [log in to unmask]
type designer
<+> whatever the style, type is meant to be read <+>